Spring naar bijdragen

Mick Luvzitt overleden

hans knot

Aanbevolen berichten

December 14th brought us the sad news that at the age of 68 years, Mick Luvzit passed away early December in Canada. Mick Luvzit will always be known as the deejay who got married live on air on Radio Caroline North. Here what the Pirate Hall of Fame told us about Mick: ’Born on 24th February 1944 in Portage La Prairie, Mantitoba, Canada, he was a talented musician, winning a violin competition at the age of 14. He worked for a number of Canadian radio stations, including CKY, CHWO, CHIC, CHUM and CFGM before heading for the UK. He initially joined Caroline South in June 1966 before moving to the North ship. He was welcomed by the listeners and received over a thousand fan letters in his first week on air. His theme was ‘Tune Up’ by Junior Walker and the All Stars. While working on Radio Caroline North he met Janet, the sister of a fellow Caroline DJ “Ugli†Ray Teret They began dating and there was talk of marriage. Always looking for a way to promote the station, Mick suggested that they should capitalise on the romantic idea of being married at sea by a ship's captain and tie the knot on board the MV Fredericia. The wedding took place on 20th September 1966, performed by the Caroline captain Martin Gips and with a commentary on Caroline North from news-chief Graham Webb. Sadly the marriage was not to last and they divorced during the seventies.

Steve Young brought an up to date during 2000: “Mick Luvzit is living in Vancouver. He broadcasts for a Christian radio station located just across the border in Washington State. They built a studio for him in his home and he works from there.†In February 2001 Mick himself contacted The Pirate Radio Hall Of Fame to say: “I'm busy putting together my studio here in my home so I can do some radio shows for the UK and Ireland.†In December 2001 the first of these took place when Mick guested on Kenny Tosh's programme on Belfast's CityBeat FM. This was followed by a live show on CityBeat in August 2002 when Mick was visiting the UK for a DJ reunion. There are pictures of the reunion on the Offshore Radio Guide and Radio London web sites. Mick also helped to organise another DJ reunion in Vancouver in July 2004. There are photos here. In November 2010 we heard from Mick again. He told us he had been busy writing a script for a documentary on addiction to alcohol and drugs. He also enclosed a recent photo.’ (with thanks to Jon).

It was in 2007 Mick informed us that he had severe heart problems and would go into hospital for surgery. It took a long time before he wrote to me again. It was in July 2009: ‘Hi Hans and thanks for all your interesting reports. Well as you know back in Nov 9 2007 I had a quadruple open heart surgery which didn't go that good and when they went back in on July 26 2007 they found a few loose wires which had given me constant pain and I had to take a lot of Morphine to help. I have finally gotten better and am now off morphine for 4 weeks and feeling a lot better. Only wish I could have made it out for the reunion last year on the Isle of Man, but the Doctor didn't want me to go and I had to get to the hospital twice a day for an hour each, of intervenes for 8 weeks to combat the bacteria in my chest after the surgery. Anyway, it's great to be alive and I am feeling so much better so should be back doing some radio shows again and will send you some plus a few pictures of the great and fun Caroline Days. Cheers my friend Mick Luvzit.’

We kept in touch up till late 2010 when he informed me about his condition as well as the production of the mentioned video. Since then we lost contact. It was Mary Payne from www.radiolondon.co.uk who passed the sad message on. On Mick Luvzitt his Facebook pages there are farewell messages from people, starting on December 8th.

Another of the Caroline deejays has gone! Yet another sad lost!

Hans Knot

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

• 4 years later...

Doe mee aan het gesprek

Je kunt nu een bericht plaatsen en later registreren. Indien je al een account hebt, kun je je nu aanmelden om het bericht met je account te plaatsen.

Gast
Antwoord op deze discussie...

×   Plakken als rijke tekst.   Opmaak herstellen

Er zijn maximaal 75 emoji toegestaan.

×   Je link is automatisch geïntegreerd.   In plaats daarvan als link tonen

×   Je voorgaande bijdrage is hersteld.   Tekstverwerker leegmaken

×   Je kunt afbeeldingen niet direct plakken. Upload of voeg afbeeldingen in vanaf URL.

Laden...

• Ondersteun Radiotrefpunt!

Het in de lucht houden van Radiotrefpunt kost geld. Help ons! Met je donatie zorg je ervoor dat deze radiocommunity dagelijks actueel radionieuws kan blijven brengen. En je kunt blijven meepraten en genieten van alle historische radio-opnamen in het forum.

• Onlangs hier

• Er kijken geen geregistreerde gebruikers naar deze pagina.
  • Gebruikersstatistieken

• Aantal leden
    • Meest online

Nieuwste lid
    arie3000
  • Nieuwe aanmaken...

Belangrijke informatie

Door gebruik te maken van deze website ga je akkoord met Gebruiksvoorwaarden, Privacybeleid en Richtlijnen.