Spring naar bijdragen

Voice of Peace - 17-07-1977

Vincent

Aanbevolen berichten

9 hours ago, JOCOOLE said:

Beste Vincent,

Just a slight amendment, His actual name should be Alan Symonds.

Mvg,

John C

That name I got from Offshore Radio Museum website. However, after looking at Pirate Radio Hall of Fame, I noticed the name Alan Simons who worked on Caroline in 1975 and later joined the Voice of Peace. Therefore, I think this 2nd version is probably the right one.

Mvg,

John C

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

3 uur geleden zei Peter van Odekerke:

Alan started with ILR Capital Radio in London in 1973 as a tx engineer. He went out to the Mi Amigo for a short while in 75 as engineer, but also  ended up on air. He threatened to jam BBC Radio One on medium wave. The old man didn't like that idea. Off he went. 

No I think you are referring to this guy  and not Alan Simons. 

Clive Correll was an engineer with London's Capital Radio. He applied for a job in Saudi Arabia and, having been successful, gave in his notice at Capital. Unfortunately the Saudi work permit took a long time to come through, leaving Clive at a loose end. Caroline was short of a transmitter engineer so in September 1974 Clive went out to the ship to help out. He had previously worked for the BBC and diplomatic radio services so had plenty of transmitter experience. But he hadn't been a DJ before. Like most of the engineers who worked on the offshore stations of the seventies and eighties, Clive was called upon to fill a gap in the schedule. He presented his first show on Caroline on 16th September and presented the occasional programme after that, until he left the ship at the end of October.

Op 13-7-2021 om 17:03 zei JOCOOLE:

That name I got from Offshore Radio Museum website. However, after looking at Pirate Radio Hall of Fame, I noticed the name Alan Simons who worked on Caroline in 1975 and later joined the Voice of Peace. Therefore, I think this 2nd version is probably the right one.

Mvg,

John C

Alan Simons is correct.

Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

12 uur geleden zei Peter van Odekerke:

No, I am sure its Alan.

No, It's Clive Warner (Correll).

"The situation wasn’t helped by the fact that I’d once worked for the Diplomatic Wireless Service, a strange bunch of people dedicated mainly to debugging embassies and providing secret communications services, but who also ran several large broadcast transmitters on behalf of the BBC foreign service. About half way through my tour of duty, they started jamming us. I got very annoyed when our London audience reported the jamming and decided to do something about it, and started restoring to service one of the two spare transmitters, both of them 10 KW in power. At the same time I left word with an old friend back on the mainland. The word was, that if the jamming did not stop, then that 10 KW tranmsitter would soon be broadcasting Radio Caroline on top of Capital Radio’s frequency, and if that didn’t prove sufficient, then I’d get the remaining transmitter working too, and set it to work on the BBC’s Radio One.

It seemed perfectly natural to me to proceed along these lines without ever asking anyone else, like the ship’s owners, what they thought about the idea (typical engineer.) The jamming stopped soon after, but I heard that I was now very unpopular indeed with the Foreign Office."

Please login or register to see this link.

bewerkt door Robin Westhof
toevoeging link
Link naar opmerking
Deel via andere websites

Doe mee aan het gesprek

Je kunt nu een bericht plaatsen en later registreren. Indien je al een account hebt, kun je je nu aanmelden om het bericht met je account te plaatsen.

Gast
Antwoord op deze discussie...

×   Plakken als rijke tekst.   Opmaak herstellen

Er zijn maximaal 75 emoji toegestaan.

×   Je link is automatisch geïntegreerd.   In plaats daarvan als link tonen

×   Je voorgaande bijdrage is hersteld.   Tekstverwerker leegmaken

×   Je kunt afbeeldingen niet direct plakken. Upload of voeg afbeeldingen in vanaf URL.

Laden...

• Nieuwe aanmaken...

Belangrijke informatie

Door gebruik te maken van deze website ga je akkoord met Gebruiksvoorwaarden, Privacybeleid en Richtlijnen.